b. 1899, Garden Valley, ID
d. 1977, Boise, ID
James Castle was an American artist who created drawings, handmade books and constructions for nearly seventy years. His works depict landscapes and buildings from the Boise and Ada counties of the state of Idaho where the artist worked and lived his entire life. They mix straightforward observation with remembered imagery, surreal totems and architectonic forms of his own conception. Castle’s drawings exploit a remarkably subtle grey scale using materials that are derived from the very world they depict, energised and compressed onto small scraps of paper. The emphasis on rough and found materials is in sharp contrast to his use of linear perspective and the arresting spatial illusion that characterises many of his drawings.
- 2018 Outliers and American Vanguard Art, a forthcoming group exhibition at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.
- 2017 Where We Are: Selections from the Whitney’s Collection, 1900-1960, a group exhibition at the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, NY
- 2015 Of Things Placed, a two-person exhibition with John Riddy at Frith Street Gallery, London
- 2014 La Biennale di Venezia – The 55th International Art Exhibition, Venice
- 2014 Untitled: The Art of James Castle, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington D.C.
- 2011 James Castle, Show and Store, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, Madrid, Spain
- 2009 Contemporary Drawings Collection, The Museum of Modern Art, New York, NY
- 2008 James Castle: A Retrospective, Philadelphia Museum of Art, PA
- 2006 Inner Worlds Outside, a group exhibition at Whitechapel Gallery, London
- 2002 Reputedly Illiterate: The Art Books of James Castle, Library at the Faculty of Art, Media and Design, University of West England, Bristol
- 2000 James Castle, Atlanta Contemporary Art Center, Atlanta, GA
Download/View full CV
- Found paper, soot
- 9.53 x 16.19 cm